Hearing aids are built to provide many years of useful service. Regular maintenance can help keep them in great working condition but once in a while, they may need servicing or repair. Midwest Ear, Nose and Throat Head & Neck Surgery can help. If you have tried the troubleshooting tips below and still can’t get your hearing aids to work properly, please contact us to schedule an evaluation.
Troubleshooting Your Hearing Aids
If your hearing aids aren’t working properly, try the following techniques for a quick fix.
- If there is no sound:
- Make sure the battery is inserted correctly.
- Replace the battery if you suspect it is dead or weak.
- Remove excess earwax from earmold or replace wax guard.
- Check tubing for wax buildup or moisture; clean with blower tool.
- Make sure hearing aid isn’t accidentally set to telecoil mode.
- If you are experiencing feedback or whistling:
- Remove and reinsert your hearing aids.
- Make sure there is nothing blocking or covering your hearing aids.
- Have your doctor check your ears for excess wax and remove if necessary.
If you are still experiencing feedback after checking the above items, please contact your audiologists as there are many factors that could be causing this issue. The feedback eliminating programs in hearing aids have become very advanced, reducing the probability of this occurring.
- If the sound is weak or distorted:
- The battery may be dead or weak; replace it.
- Open the battery compartment and clean the contacts with a dry cloth.
- Clean the earmold or tubing with wax removal tools; replace wax guard.
What Can I Expect to Pay for a Hearing Aid Repair?
If your hearing aids are still under warranty and were purchased from Midwest Ear, Nose and Throat Head & Neck Surgery, repair costs will be nominal or free. If the warranty has expired, we’ll assess the level of damage before providing you with an estimate.
The expert staff at Midwest Ear, Nose and Throat Head & Neck Surgery is happy to evaluate your hearing aids and help you decide whether having them repaired makes the most financial sense. We service most makes and models of hearing aids and are here to provide you with assistance.
Call Midwest Ear, Nose and Throat Head & Neck Surgery at (270) 691-6161 for more information or to schedule an appointment.